Recognition of Foreign Divorce in the Philippines

Philippine courts do not recognize foreign decrees, such as a divorce decree, unless the same is proven as having been validly obtained abroad. When a Filipino gets divorced, his or her marital status as indicated in the records of the NSO (now Philippine Statistics Authority) cannot be changed to "single" by merely presenting a divorce decree. The Court needs to order the NSO to change the said entry to enable the Filipino divorcee to remarry.Original Article

0 comments on “Recognition of Foreign Divorce in the Philippines

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *